1) What do these symbols on our flag stand for?
a) Blue background
b) Stars It is for the southern cross
c) Union Jack It is because of the Maori tribes
2) Name the 3 flags of the 3 countries which are combined to make the Union Jack New Zealand,
3) When did we first use this NZ flag ?
4) What flag did we use from 1840 until then?
5) From 1834 to 1840 we used the United Tribes Flag. Insert an image of this flag.
6) Who kept chopping down the flagpole in Kororareka? Why?
7) What are the other official flags of NZ. Who are they used
for/when are they used?
Insert an image of the National Maori Flag. When did this flag first fly officially?
8)# Now you understand the basics of our present flag, work on a design for the flag you feel NZ should have. Insert your image.
*what flags of other countries look like
*which icons are important to New Zealanders
*is your flag representative of our society
*the colours and what they represent
*what will go in the top left corner -the most clearly seen part of the flag even when there is no wind and the flag hangs down.*how the rest of the world will identify NZ from this flag